Vintage Sound Amps / Vintage 20 (Princeton Style) / 2019 / Black/Silver / Amp For Sale
The Vintage Sound Vintage 20 is a slightly stepped up version of the Vintage 15. Like the Vintage 15, it's essentially an all hand-wired, all USA made, super-modified Fender Princeton Reverb. It's based on the "blackface" Fender Princeton Reverb (AA1164) used from 1964-1967, but with several major and significant upgrades (read more below).
The Vintage 20 has a considerable amount of warm, clean headroom, and noticeably more than a typical blackface Princeton Reverb. It will easily hold it's own again any Deluxe Reverb out there. Players from all genres LOVE this amp - from Blues, to Country, to Rock!
1) The most obvious difference is the 12" speaker upgrade. The Princeton Reverb came with a 10" stock speaker, and many people modded them to replace the 10" baffle with a 12" so they could get a standard sized speaker in there. (more on the speaker we chose below)
2) The reverb circuit is vastly upgraded. The stock reverb on a Princeton was a small 9" pan spring reverb. The Vintage 20 uses a large 17" spring reverb pan that's the same size as the one used in the Twin Reverb! The reverb circuit also includes a very nifty reverb dwell control on the rear of the chassis for varying the decay time.
3) A "MIDDLE" tone control has been added that Princeton Reverb amps didn't have. This addition does nothing to hurt the integrity of the circuit or tone. The original Fender circuit actually had a "fixed mid" that was set permanently at 6.8k. Vintage Sound removed this resistor from the circuit and replaced it with a much more versatile 10k pot. You now have the ability to adjust this frequency range without compromising the original tone. If you want it to sound precisely like a blackface Princeton Reverb, just turn the port to around one o'clock on the dial and you're there. You want to scoop the mids a touch, pull back. Warm the tone a bit, turn up.
4) The addition of a Standby Switch. The original Princeton Reverb didn't have one.
5) The output transformer has been upgraded and beefed up to give you 20 watts (instead of 12 in a stock Princeton Reverb) so it has a good bit more clean headroom on tap than a vintage PR. This also allows you to change out the power tubes to 6L6's for a different tone and response. Overall, we recommend staying with 6V6 tubes, but the 6L6 tubes will deliver slightly more bass, but will be a bit more stiff in response. Stiffness isn't a bad thing if that's what you are going after, but the majority of people will prefer the slightly softer response of the 6V6 tubes.
6) External Bias Points have been added so as to more easily bias the amp when you swap out tubes.
So, as you can see, the Vintage 20 has lots of upgrades to the original Princeton Reverb circuit without adversely affecting the vintage tone. As well, all Vintage Sound amps are point-to-point hand-wired using top quality filter caps and electrolytics, carbon comp resistors, Orange Drop tone caps, solid core push back wire, and custom transformers that are hand wound in the USA.
Model: Vintage 20
Amplifier Type: Tube
Note: EU version
Circuitry: Black Face AA1164
Power Handling: 20 Watts into 8 Ohms
Inputs: One channel; 2 Inputs
RCA Footswitch Jack
Extension Speaker Jack
External Speaker Jack
Controls: Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass. Reverb, Speed, Intensity
Cabinet Material: Solid Pine Cabinet w/ Birch Plywood Baffle & upper and lower back panel
Pilot Light Jewel: Blue (other colors available)
Knobs: Chicken Head or Barrel Head
Handle: Leather Handle
Tube Driven Spring Reverb
Rectifier: 5AR4 Rectifier Tube
Power Tubes: (2) 6V6 -or- (2) 6L6
Preamp Tubes: (3) 12AX7, (1) 12AT7
Custom Padded Cover
Amplifier Depth: 9 1/2″
Amplifier Width: 19 7/8″
Amplifier Height: 17″
Amplifier Weight: 38 lbs.
Hi-Note Music Oy, Finland
- To Finland: Free
- Other EU countries: 80 €
If you are a consumer you have the right to cancel your order in accordance with the Consumer Protection Act by notifying your cancellation to us at the latest 14 days after you have received the goods, or the last lot of the delivery, or if it is a question of regular deliveries of goods at the latest 14 days after you have received the first shipment.
You must make your notification of cancellation clearly for example by using our cancellation notification form, by sending your notification to our e-mail address set out below, or by a written notification attached to your return delivery of the goods.
The right to cancel applies solely to, and the goods returned shall respectively be set in their original package, be unused, and be well packaged for the return delivery.
If you cancel your order you have to return the goods promptly and at the latest within 14 days after the cancellation notification, to the Return Address mentioned in these terms below. If needed you have to evidence that the goods are returned within the above mentioned return time (e.g. by showing the return receipt). You have to pay for the costs of the return of the goods. Such costs will not be returned to you.
When returning the goods, please attach your name, contact information and your adequate bank account number so that we can pay your payment for your order back to you. We will return such payment promptly to you in accordance with the Consumer Protection Act.
Our return address:
Hi-Note Music Oy
Laivurinkatu 11 A 16