Once again we went to NAMM Show in Anaheim, CA in January.
One of the cool things about NAMM Show, besides meeting lots of our partners and friends, is the chance you get to discover lots of new great gear. Hahn Guitars was one of the highlights. Especially the 910 model that the builder, Chihoe, makes became one of our favourite hand built guitars on the show this year.
Hahn Guitars can be ordered directly on Vintage & Rare here
Here is a demo of the 910 model.
Interview with Chihoe Hahn
1) Chihoe, Tell us about your background
– Well I’ve been building guitars for over 16 years and professionally for about 10. Before that I was involved with several start ups, before that I was a lawyer, and throughout I’ve been a musician.
2) Why did you want to become a guitar maker? When did you know it was what you wanted to do?
– Pretty much when I started my company. I have always been OBSESSED with guitars and sound and I’ve always wanted to make something and put it in the world. Guitars seemed like the perfect thing for me.
3) What kind of guitars do you primarily build – What are your favourite materials to work with?
– The main guitar I build is the telecaster. I’ve done a few modifications of it, trying to change the focus a bit here and there, and just recently came out with my first new body shape/original design.
4) How does an independent guitar maker compete with the large, established companies and attract clientele?
– You have to offer something unique and I have always focused on quality. My focus has always been on making the instrument as musical as possible. I’m trying to make an instrument that can sound like an acoustic guitar and can rock any venue. I’m trying to make an instrument that a guitarist would love – something that disappears in his hands and becomes an extension of him, or her.
5) What is the best part of your job?
– Making artists and passionate people happy.
6) What is the work/family/life balance like for you?
– It’s very difficult but I think that’s true pretty much with any job that you pour your self into.
7) Any famous last words?
– Try to eat healthy.